SEE at Sea – Forwards Always, Backwards Never

Going to Ghana was a life changing experience. Being able to sail on the same path of my ancestors who were starved to death, tortured, treated inhuman and jumped/thrown overboard was an emotional time but an honor. For the first time in my life I was not a minority and it was liberating. Being surrounded by my sistas and brothas is a feeling I will never forget. On my first day I received my Ghanaian name Abena (Ah-beh-nah), meaning I was born on a Tuesday. Within the four days of being there I learned so much more about my history than my whole 20 years of living. I was so welcomed in Ghana and everyone let me know I was home. I made some connections both professionally and personally. I’m extremely grateful to be able to have this experience in particular because it has taught me so much and shown how little I knew. Forwards Always, Backwards Never. #BlackIsPower

While in Ghana I had a field class where we visited a more Urban hospital and a rural one as well. But for the most part I hung out with Locals who showed me around the town and taught me the history and stories about certain landmarks. I Loved it there! It was such a cultural experience I will cherish forever.

-Sadeja Harper